Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 16 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Setting up a tank for Shelldwellers

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Setting up a tank for Shelldwellers

PostAuthor: damo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 21:28

Before I begin, let me say that I will not be entering the photo competition.
A tank for a pair of Tanganyikan shelldwellers needn't be large, 2 ft is adequate, although the larger the better.
My tank is a Juwel 80, measuring 32x12x12.
Substrate must be sand, I have used marine sand here, but there are various types of sand that can be used.
Rockwork isn't necessary because the fish won't use it for anything, but a tank will look bare with just a mound of shells, plus it will help with the ph, so i add a couple of small stacks of tuffa and lava just for a visual effect.
A lot of people just use a sponge filter for these fish, but with using Juwel tanks, the filter is built into the setup.
The most important item is of course shells.
Species like Lamprologus Signatus need just one shell each, with the young sharing their parents shells. This is o.k. until the parents spawn again, when the young will be driven away.They will then have to be removed from the main tank.
Species like Neolamprologus Multifasciatus will need plenty of shells, because the young will stay with their parents and form a large colony.This species must have at least one shell each,if not more, or else there will be aggression in the tank.Two shells per fish is ideal.
I have got a pair Multifasciatus in the tank pictured above, with ten shells, and both the male and female have visited all the shells several times over the last 48hrs.
Temperature should be between 23 & 27 degrees, with a ph ideally between 7.8 & 8.6.
Shell dwellers require very stable conditions, so a 10% water change per week is ideal, but when the fish have young, up it to 20% per week. It is better to do 2 water changes of 10% per week than one change of 20%.Mine get water changed on a Wednesday and a Sunday.
If you keep these fish in good condition, with live foods twice a week
(brineshrimp is best), these fish will breed every 6-8 weeks.
These fish are great for beginners to Tanganyikans, because they are easy to keep, easy to breed and don't require a very large tank.
damo
Melanochromis Maingano
Melanochromis Maingano

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

Re: Setting up a tank for Shelldwellers

PostAuthor: IanM » Tue Apr 01, 2008 09:18

Great post M8, plenty of info without rambling :!:
:D :D
:Mbuna
You see a box, SO DO I! HELP!
IanM
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

PostAuthor: damo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 20:28

thanks mate. :good:
damo
Melanochromis Maingano
Melanochromis Maingano

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: Bogwoodbruce » Thu May 08, 2008 21:10

Beauitiful tank bro i kep a group of 8 shellys in a 1x1x1 for about 6 months no worries then my dad broke the tank. D'oh.
72x45x24 Tropical pond: BIG FISH
72x24x24: Stingray/Oddballs
72x24x24: Big fish community
60x24x24: Lake Malawi
48x24x24: Lungfish
48x24x24: Bearded Dragon
Bogwoodbruce
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

PostAuthor: keith t » Fri May 09, 2008 10:13

Quality post Damo :good:
Hard work pays off later, Laziness pays off now
keith t
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: roareruk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 14:59

ive been toying with the idea of setting my trigon 190 up as a shell dwellers tank only got everything but the fish to do it do you feed live brine shrimp frozen or do you hatch your own ???? is there anything else you can feed them on too ??

roareruk
Metriaclima Zebra Chilumba
Metriaclima Zebra Chilumba

Return to Other Fishes