Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 18 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Keeping a community tank

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Keeping a community tank

PostAuthor: chrisd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:11

I’m looking for some advice from people who have both cichlids and tropical tanks.

When I first bought my aquarium many years ago it was a community tank with Tetras, Swordtails and Mollies etc. I was pretty young at the time so didn’t know much about fish or aquariums and didn’t take proper care of the water etc. I lost a lot of fish to diseases which meant regular visits to my local shop to restock. The guy in the shop noticed I was spending a lot of money to keep the tank full so suggested switching over to Cichlids as they were “bullet proof” and took less care to keep. I did as he suggested and haven’t looked back since.

Every time I go into my local shop though I see Red Swordtails, Glowlight Tetras , Neon/Cardinal Tetras and Tiger Barbs and really fancy setting up another tank to house a few of these guys. The colour of the fish and the added green plants would be a little bit different from my cichlids tank with all the rocks and lack of plants. However, I don’t want to go to the expense and trouble if I’m going to continually loose fish again.

I’m now wondering if the reason that my cichlids are very healthy and thriving is because they are bullet proof, or if it’s more to do with the fact that I take more care of the tank now, do regular water changes and limit the quantity of food I give them.

So for those people who have both types of tanks or have had them in the past, are standard aquariums harder to maintain and are diseases and loss on fish more likely?

Thanks

chrisd
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Re: Keeping a community tank

PostAuthor: Mark_ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:39

I would think a lot of it is down to proper water husbandry now.

I also have a theory that common bread and butter trops are so over bred they are losing some immunity/strength - this may be hokum though.

Mark_
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

PostAuthor: chrisd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 15:49

p.s. Does anyone use any other fish forums apart from this one? I've had so many good tips and questions answered on here that I have undoubtedly improved my tank and fish. Just wondering if there are any good forums you could recommend for non cichlid aquariums.

chrisd
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Sun Nov 11, 2012 23:28

There is a really good saying that if you look after your water, your water will look after your fish. Tank care and maintenance is essentail for any tank. I do not know of any aquarium that will not benefit from water changes - its just with mbuna your changes are more frequent. A lightly stocked community tank shoyuld still be water changed every 3 - 4 weeks.

I also do agree with your theory - by way of examples, neon tetra disease if you are unlucky to intrduce it to your tank will take every neon and harelequin in weeks. And is impossible to irradicate without breaking down the tank and boiling / bleaching the lot.

Some of the dwarf gourami suffer from a similar problem and as I understand it very few are imported without this being present......

Thats not to say cichlids don't have similar bugs/diseases, just they are (thankfully so far) much less common.

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 07:50

I've got a small community tank and once the fish have gone I will go back to cichlids, I find tropical pretty but boring in comparison.
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

Return to Other Fishes