Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 15 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Anyone know about Ponds?

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Anyone know about Ponds?

PostAuthor: Sam » Fri Oct 26, 2012 17:42

I have put an offer in on a house and it has just been accepted subject to a few legal things!!!

The property has a huge Pond (a bit like a lake) in the rear garden, I couldn't tell you the size as no idea how deep it is yet. It is in a real state of dis-repair and needs major TLC.

I want to drain it and start again but not sure where I can drain that much water, what legal implications there are with pumping it into a drain. I reckon looking at it, it could possibly hold 100,000 litres of water (maybe more) I've got the Pump and Generator that could clear it in about 3 hours (used at work for empting out Manholes of water) But not sure where to pump it, Could there be wildlife in there that I may disturb? with a pond of that size could I get Rats???
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Re: Anyone know about Ponds?

PostAuthor: Sam » Fri Oct 26, 2012 17:44

Here are some pics to show you what i'm up against!!!

The nice little step down from our Patio area.

I'm standing at the back end of the pond here, The house in the background is ours, the pond goes right up to the big Fern tree.

Here I am in the same position looking to the Left showing how far out it goes!!

This is the state of the Algae, the whole pond is this bad!!

sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: Nads » Fri Oct 26, 2012 18:22

You need to check for newts as great crested newts are protected. Will get Greg to look later but what do you want to end up with?

Ornamental garden pond or a serious koi pond?
Nads
Mel. Northern Blue
Mel. Northern Blue

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: Sam » Fri Oct 26, 2012 18:43

Ornamental garden pond with some nice Koi but not Thousands of pounds worth :)
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: Nads » Fri Oct 26, 2012 21:18

Hi Sam.... Greg here using Nads log-In.

So we are talking of a nice looking natural pond which will contain some fish / koi.

Really you need to start with the basics and find out exactly what you have once you move in. Length x width x depth will of course give you a basic gallonage.
Then as Nadine correctly points out newts will be an issue and i would suggest you check this out as i am not any good with the legalities of that kind of situation.

The next thing to really check is - is it man made, what kind of base does it have? - concrete, mud or liner? I would suggest looking at the pond and the planting of the rushes that it is very natural with a mud base. My first train of thought is once you move in climb in the pond (with supervision) and asses the depth of it and while your there pull up some rushes and kind of try to find out what you have. Then using a simple theremometer keep an eye on the water temps over winter into spring.

Is the pond fed by a stream or anything?
Is there a way water esacpes to a ditch or anything if it overflows?

The algae does not look anything sinister to me in that it simply looks like free flaoting algae that you see on the top of canals / areas of water that have little / no current. You should be able to reduce it by adding current to the lake / pond.

The harsh truth here is i CANNOT advise you keeping koi in a pond / lake of less than 4 ft depth due to unheated winter water temperatures - unless you plan on catching them all over winter and bringing them indoors.

There are plenty of low wattage high volume pumps out there we can point you in the direction of if you go ahead. I am tempted to say call Mark & Lisa Davis @ Cuttlebrook Koi Farm they are very good friends on mine and Nadine and Mark has a landscaping background as well as great koi /fish knowledge so seems to logical choice to assisit you. They are based near Thame in Oxfordshire but i suspect they would travel if you contacted them. Tell them that Nadine and I recommended you contact them.

Cuttlebrook Koi - www.cuttlebrookkoifarm.co.uk

Let us know how you get on - be interesting to hear.
Nads
Mel. Northern Blue
Mel. Northern Blue

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: Sam » Fri Oct 26, 2012 21:35

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply.

The pond doesn't look like it is man made, it looks far too big, but then I've not got the first clue about ponds. I want to get in it and see the depth but really worried its really deep and don't fancy going under with all that algae!!! I may get a big stick and see how far it goes in.
How will I know if there are any newts in it??

It isn't fed by any form of river etc it is just stand alone. It doesn't have any run off either if it over flows which is a little worrying.
If I stuck a big industrial water pump (man hole pump) and had it pumping the water around for a few days will this help clear the algae?
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: Sam » Fri Oct 26, 2012 22:22

Would the addition of a filter, fountain and waterfall add enough movement to stop this Algae?
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: Sam » Sat Oct 27, 2012 06:51

I was thinking that this is not really a man made Pond (i.e plastic lined or concrete base) I'm leaning towards it having a mud bottom. in peoples experience would this be solid mud (clay or the like) or soft squidgy stuff? I ask as I am contemplating getting in it to see the depth, but don't want to get stuck and dragged under!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

If I do drain it fully, and it turns out it is a Muddy base, would it be an idea to fill the base with pea shingle to keep it from going murky???
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: Nads » Sat Oct 27, 2012 08:17

I wouldn't drain it. I would get in (or get an inflatable boat to get across it) and clear some of the rushes back. Then maybe introduce a fountain to add some surface agitation. You may find there is already fish in it!!
Nads
Mel. Northern Blue
Mel. Northern Blue

PostAuthor: trumps » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:54

looks like you got a job on your hands there mate :agreed

be a nice project though hope the house is not as neglected :tease:
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: Sam » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:56

Strangely enough the inside is really nice, all new flooring throughout. New kitchen and bathroom, it's only the outside that is rough
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: trumps » Sat Oct 27, 2012 13:05

Sam wrote:Strangely enough the inside is really nice, all new flooring throughout. New kitchen and bathroom, it's only the outside that is rough

that' :good: s good then
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: kathateria » Sat Oct 27, 2012 13:39

Wildlife heaven.That would be my dream garden (minus the crazy over grown grass)
I would have a little area by the pond for frogs/newts.I would put a hedgehog area in the garden.Let it over grow.Little log piles for wildlife to hide in
Id have a little ledge for birds to have a bath and a drink.Dream on Kathy
You are a lucky barsteward being able to inherit that.Might seem like hard work now,but imagine the results,with a bit of TLC
There is no such thing as a peaceful mbuna.They are all 2 faced moody sods!
kathateria
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: Sam » Sat Oct 27, 2012 14:13

It's going to take all my effort to get it right. Don't think I'll be making it a wildlife haven tho! Kids are wild enough!!
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: Sam » Sat Oct 27, 2012 14:15

Nads, i love the idea of getting the boat in there to clear it, definately think that is how i am going to attack it first off.
My youngest has already said he wants a R/C Speed boat to play with when its all cleared!!
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

Next

Return to Other Fishes