Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 15 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Have a list of 3 bottom feeder spieces........

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Have a list of 3 bottom feeder spieces........

PostAuthor: ChrisS » Sat Jul 14, 2012 22:04

.......for my yet to be stocked mbuna setup.

Bristlenose Catfish
Synodontis petricola
Botia striata (Zebra Loach)

The Synodontis I can only seem to find fully grown fish and as I will probably be getting F1 juvenile cichlids I dont want these turning into rather expensive catfish food :cryy

The B/n cats eat the algae that my mbuna will also want to eat :aarggh

This leaves the Zebra Loach I have noticed quite a few members keeping loaches of some sort or other with their Malawi cichlids they wont strip the tank bare of algae or hunt down my little F1 cichlids :pray

So was thinking of getting 3 Zebra Loach and single B/n cat does that seem ok for a 48x18x18 set up?

Or do you have anyother suggestions :scheming
6x Lab caeruleus
6x Ps elongatus Mpanga
5x Ps cyaneorhabdos
6x Lab trewavasae Mpanga
6x Cyno aurifrons Mphanga Rocks (F1)

ChrisS
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Re: Have a list of 3 bottom feeder spieces........

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Sat Jul 14, 2012 22:26

Hmmm - me I would go with the synodontis, but then I have a soft spot for them. Bristle noses do well and a lot of people have them, not sure about loaches as I would have thought they would do better in a softer water set up ?

There are a lot of synodontis and most would be ok .... I have kept a syno ocelifer with malawi's for about 20 years, he nabs a few fry but some make it.

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: johnlfc » Sat Jul 14, 2012 22:40

Have you thought about synodontis multipunctatus you could buy them young and grow on with your fish.

I got mine from a breeder in Gateshead who has them regular.
johnlfc
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: FunkyFish » Sat Jul 14, 2012 23:20

there are a couple people who breed syno's so there must be small ones about... i love my syno njassae even though they are noisy some days :balloonvalent

FunkyFish
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Re: Have a list of 3 bottom feeder species...

PostAuthor: V00d000 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 23:55

johnlfc wrote:Have you thought about synodontis multipunctatus you could buy them young and grow on with your fish.

I got mine from a breeder in Gateshead who has them regular.

+1 on the punks.

I love mine, they're like the F1 of the cat world (that's Formula 1), the speed at which they zip around, over & under the rocks is incredible.
V00d000
Metriaclima Estherae
Metriaclima Estherae

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

PostAuthor: Graham » Sun Jul 15, 2012 00:21

I wouldn't worry about the synos gobbling your cichlids when you get them. Yes, they will make a meal of the odd tiny fry i.e. when they are first spit, but presumably when you say you will be stocking with fry I assume you mean something at least guppy-size. Synodontis lucipinnis (aka dwarf petricola which I assume they really are) won't take young fish of that size.
Graham
Graham
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: ChrisS » Sun Jul 15, 2012 09:19

Thank you for the replys :goodjob

I guess I will keep it African then I will keep looking for some baby synos they must be out there somewhere.
6x Lab caeruleus
6x Ps elongatus Mpanga
5x Ps cyaneorhabdos
6x Lab trewavasae Mpanga
6x Cyno aurifrons Mphanga Rocks (F1)

ChrisS
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

Return to Other Fishes