Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 13 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

these little critters looked weird...

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

these little critters looked weird...

PostAuthor: FunkyFish » Sat Jan 28, 2012 20:12

was mazed how they moved and held on to things.... very interesting :good:

The guy at the shop told me they are a doddle to keep once you get them eating, but getting them eating is the hard part most people fail at the first hurdle aparently?

anyway, thought i would share what i found yesterday

and these 2 were aparently a breeding pair? the one on the floor had a swollen belly

FunkyFish
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Re: these little critters looked weird...

PostAuthor: vinboy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 20:16

They are strange dont think i could be bothered with all the stress of geting them to eat.
I hear they need to be hand fed :no
But if you like a challage maybe its a good to try.
vinny
vinboy
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: FunkyFish » Sat Jan 28, 2012 20:19

no chance, aparently the water change alone is about £5 per week. I like cheap things like tropical setups :good: If cold water fish looked nice i would get them instead :lol: save £ on heating :blush:

FunkyFish
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: leakystan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 21:58

salted water if you buy it is 25 litres for 4 quid id think you would use that on a sea horse tank once a month, think you would use more normal unsalted ro water on the tank to top up because of evaporation, if you just keep on adding salt water then it sends the salinity sky high n poisons the tank, tank bred horses are possible and they are easy to look after and feed
really think to much is made on how difficult and expensive marines are, all thats needed is a decent test kit, the initial cost i bet is no dearer than stocking 40 malawis
mind that 3ft wall keith its hard to see over the top when you are my height.

leakystan
Forum Control
Forum Control

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

PostAuthor: Matthew » Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:50

leakystan wrote:salted water if you buy it is 25 litres for 4 quid id think you would use that on a sea horse tank once a month, think you would use more normal unsalted ro water on the tank to top up because of evaporation, if you just keep on adding salt water then it sends the salinity sky high n poisons the tank, tank bred horses are possible and they are easy to look after and feed
really think to much is made on how difficult and expensive marines are, all thats needed is a decent test kit, the initial cost i bet is no dearer than stocking 40 malawis

The live rock for pricey for a berlin style setup but once the tank is running its no harder than a tank of delicate tropicals. Sea horses need to be kept without fish as they nip at the horses fins and they are really defenceless. I was spending about £25 a month on salt with my own RO unit and that kept a 300ltr reef tank going fine. All the other stuff like replacement lights was the real cost.

Matthew
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: Paul P. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 08:04

I do agree with them being difficult to get to feed and I also agree they are easy to keep once they are feeding.
Subtle lighting and a slightly tamer (than usual marine tanks) flow/circulation of water helps as does obviously keeping the water in tip top condition. Having a sump to allow for water changes/topping up helps especially when they are settling in and the less fuss in the main tank the better.

I also added a refugium to my seahorse tank to allow for a larger, continuous pod population for them to feed on ;)
Paul
Paul P.
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

PostAuthor: canary » Fri Aug 24, 2012 23:27

I can assure you they are not a doddle to look after and whoever your LFS is you should tell him as well he is after a quick sale and sod the concequences . To help to get seahorses to survive you dont have to hand feed them LOL prob scare them to death,get a decent LFS who sells live food Copepods and Rotifers A decent place called Reefworks will post them to you every month to keep seahorses alive ,You can allso try a little frozen food put some tank water in with frozen cube to thaw it put it all in fine sieve to drain water of as if you do not after a whi9le you will get a bit of algie growing due to fresh water on frozen cube . Put it back i small container put a drop of tank water in it and use a pippete to spray it about near seahorses ,not to much to start with as if they dont take it at first you dont want it lieing about tank uneaten. As for being £5 to top your tank up every week you must have a very large tank, 5galls of salt water down my LFS costs £4.50 sometimes £5.50 .

canary
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: V00d000 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 00:35

I used to have Seahorses back in the day.

Unfortunately mine used to be part of a Plasticraft kit, and usually ended up in an exotic key-ring, or as a paperweight.
I was going to mention something about the sexuality of SH's, but have lost my train of thought entirely, so here's a pikchur of a bloke with a girly tattoo on his neck:

V00d000
Metriaclima Estherae
Metriaclima Estherae

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

PostAuthor: ChrisS » Sun Aug 26, 2012 17:59

Saw this earlier in the week ~

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/23/p ... d-to-asia/

Hope your new seahorses learn to feed :good:
6x Lab caeruleus
6x Ps elongatus Mpanga
5x Ps cyaneorhabdos
6x Lab trewavasae Mpanga
6x Cyno aurifrons Mphanga Rocks (F1)

ChrisS
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Return to Other Fishes