Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 14 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

800lt pirahna biotope.

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

800lt pirahna biotope.

PostAuthor: vinboy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:38

Hi all
Thought i would share a friends piranah display aquarium been up and running couple of weeks pirahna have been raised in a previous
setup they are 10in in size and are in great shape.Tank is a 5x3x3 perfect for a aquascape lots of depth.
Water still very stained of the wood wall at back so hard to get good vid.
Would not want to put my arm in this tank :no

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo17kKxx5fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS6HM3TNL9s

vinny
vinboy
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Re: 800lt pirahna biotope.

PostAuthor: catwoman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:18

great sized tank but really not my cup of tea at all, will the water become less stained over time or is the aim to keep it this dark?

I do not find these fish very attractive & would defo not want to put my arm in their tank either :lol:
catwoman
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: vinboy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:35

catwoman wrote:great sized tank but really not my cup of tea at all, will the water become less stained over time or is the aim to keep it this dark?

I do not find these fish very attractive & would defo not want to put my arm in their tank either :lol:

Yes he going to have it less teastained but cant do large wc yet as tank is still fresh.
I was not a fan of these fish but when you watch them in a good big setup and see them happy they have changed my view on them
they have a lovely shine to them when the light catches them also.
Tank has a great footprint would be fab for a mbuna display :yes
He is going to thin out plants aswell we post a vid once looking better but it is very natural :D
vinny
vinboy
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: Steve D » Sat Dec 10, 2011 13:44

I love it :D But aren`t sometning like 90 odd per cent of Piranha veggies anyway? I was told it`s safe to put your arm in as long as you don`t startle them and you`re not bleeding to death :lol: Also, how do you clean the tank without putting your arm in? :roll:
You can have any beer you likeā€¦as long as it's a Corona.
Steve D
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: vinboy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 14:49

Steve D wrote:I love it :D But aren`t sometning like 90 odd per cent of Piranha veggies anyway? I was told it`s safe to put your arm in as long as you don`t startle them and you`re not bleeding to death :lol: Also, how do you clean the tank without putting your arm in? :roll:

One very long gravel cleaner.
Could be safe but these 10in monsters would strip your arm if they had a go.
These mostly eat dead fish but will take dry foods also.
They are quite shy really just a big tetra :?
vinny
vinboy
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: Sam » Sat Dec 10, 2011 15:59

I love Pirahna's and i'm still seriously contemplating changing my Mbuna to them.

You can actually put your hand in as long as you move slowly, they are lazy hunters, they will only go for the Kill once the prey is Dead or nearly dead.

But saying that, not sure i would put it to the test :lmao:
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: BLUNDZ » Sun Dec 11, 2011 00:34

I have seen a guy get into a paddling pool full of them on the telly in nothing but swin shorts an they avoided him like the plague.

But like the rest of you i would not be putting it to the test myself :lol:

BLUNDZ
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: Matthew » Sun Dec 11, 2011 00:42

Is he putting any expendable dither fish in with them?

Just wondered as the ones I've seen before have been very shy and spend most of the time hiding. Nice to see them that big and kept in a suitable sized tank though.

Matthew
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: Sam » Tue Dec 13, 2011 18:48

How's the tank looking now Vin?

Any new Pics/Vids? really interested in this set up.
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: vinboy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 18:57

Sam wrote:How's the tank looking now Vin?

Any new Pics/Vids? really interested in this set up.

This setup is very new but the fish are adults he had them a few yrs in a 5ft but this huge cube gives them alot more depth to
swim they look so much better. This fella is new to aquascaping he had them in with blue gravel and pipes everywere me and me mate
helped(took over :blush: ) but he sees now what a natural tank can be.
This is going to be one hell of a tank once the tannins have been reduced he has loads of little tetras swimming about way to fast to be eaten.
Plus am in favour of no plants.
It is in a shed this tank way to big to get through must doorways he has a wolffish growing on as well just in process of scapeing that tank.
Will keep yer posted sam.
vinny
vinboy
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: Sam » Tue Dec 13, 2011 19:06

Cool :good:
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: Graham » Tue Dec 13, 2011 23:28

I always found Red=bellied to be very nervous fish. Always had to sit the other end of the room to view 'um or they would huddle in a corner, especially are they grew larger. Put my hand in the tank and they'd go crazy trying to get away sending heaters and filters flying off in all directions.

I had two or three groups over the years. Always started with a large group of youngsters and found it impossible to introduce new fish to the established group. I kept Serpae Tetras with mine, these they left alone but had the habit of laying into one of their own every now and then so invariably having started off with a large group of small fish I'd end up with one or two very large survivors after a couple of years which didn't make for much of a display. Maybe a larger tank would have helped, I don't know, they were in a 5x2x2.

Always made a good topic for conversation when friends come around though.
Graham
Graham
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

PostAuthor: vinboy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 23:37

Graham wrote:I always found Red=bellied to be very nervous fish. Always had to sit the other end of the room to view 'um or they would huddle in a corner, especially are they grew larger. Put my hand in the tank and they'd go crazy trying to get away sending heaters and filters flying off in all directions.

I had two or three groups over the years. Always started with a large group of youngsters and found it impossible to introduce new fish to the established group. I kept Serpae Tetras with mine, these they left alone but had the habit of laying into one of their own every now and then so invariably having started off with a large group of small fish I'd end up with one or two very large survivors after a couple of years which didn't make for much of a display. Maybe a larger tank would have helped, I don't know, they were in a 5x2x2.

Always made a good topic for conversation when friends come around though.

5X2X2 not big enough thats what they were in before and used to just be in a row looking nervous but in this cube tank of at least 3ft depth
they swim about looking very relaxed will upload more clear vid.
vinny
vinboy
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: JohnJ » Fri Dec 23, 2011 01:31

That looks really impressive!

JohnJ
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Return to Other Fishes