Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 22 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

My tangs

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

My tangs

PostAuthor: Simon Morgan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 01:00

Here are my multifasciatus just after they moved in:

They had the tank to themselves for a while, until the J. transcriptus and Triglachromis otostigma moved in! Still, they must be happy, I think there are three breeding females :D

Short vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdyhmORtdY4
BCA Membership Secretary
www.britishcichlid.org.uk
Simon Morgan
Melanochromis Maingano
Melanochromis Maingano

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Re: My tangs

PostAuthor: catwoman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:22

awww they look very sweet :D

what other fish do you keep Simon? do you keep Frontosa?

would love to see pic's of them & your tank/s :good:
catwoman
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: kathateria » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:59

Aw, too cute :good:
There is no such thing as a peaceful mbuna.They are all 2 faced moody sods!
kathateria
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: vinboy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:39

Love tangs but alot lack colour for cichlids compered to malawis/south american.
vinny
vinboy
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: FunkyFish » Fri Dec 02, 2011 23:16

very nice, do they actually live in the shells?

FunkyFish
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: Simon Morgan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 17:27

catwoman wrote:what other fish do you keep Simon? do you keep Frontosa?

No, all my other fish are South American. I will get some pics up though.
BCA Membership Secretary
Simon Morgan
Melanochromis Maingano
Melanochromis Maingano

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

PostAuthor: Simon Morgan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 17:35

vinboy wrote:Love tangs but alot lack colour for cichlids compered to malawis/south american.
vinny

Agreed but they have very interesting social interactions and the behaviour is interesting to watch.
BCA Membership Secretary
Simon Morgan
Melanochromis Maingano
Melanochromis Maingano

PostAuthor: Nads » Sat Dec 03, 2011 18:16

These are not for me, however I do love tropheus and could be sorely tempted to move over to them, if ever I fall out of love with the mbuna.

Nice setup you have above (just not my kind of fish) and look forward to seeing the south americans :good:
Nads
Mel. Northern Blue
Mel. Northern Blue

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: Simon Morgan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 18:25

FunkyFish wrote:very nice, do they actually live in the shells?

Yes, the females can fit right inside and they lay their eggs there. It appears that I have three breeding females, each with their own shell, with a single male and various young at different ages.

Nads wrote:These are not for me, however I do love tropheus and could be sorely tempted to move over to them, if ever I fall out of love with the mbuna.

I've never met a cichlid I didn't like ;) I'm just into these right now, some day I'll keep Mbuna again, maybe something else! I defy any fishkeeper not to like Tropheus but they are quite challenging! It's worth googling Triglachromis though, very attractive species not shown well in my video.
BCA Membership Secretary
Simon Morgan
Melanochromis Maingano
Melanochromis Maingano

PostAuthor: catwoman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 19:23

I love some of the south & central American Cichlid's & would really like to keep some one day when I can have a large enough tank for them :yes

I look forward to seing pic's of your fish, I thought you had Frontosa because of your avatar :)
catwoman
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: Simon Morgan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 00:47

catwoman wrote:I love some of the south & central American Cichlid's & would really like to keep some one day when I can have a large enough tank for them :yes

I look forward to seing pic's of your fish, I thought you had Frontosa because of your avatar :)

Some of my South Americans breed in 20" tanks. I've recently spawned Apistogramma iniridae and A. sp pebas in little tanks. Next I will be trying A. bitaeniata. I have a group growing-on that are nearly ready.

I also have a pair Aequidens metae (or diadema, not 100% sure yet) that spawned last week and some large Bolivian rams that look like they should spawn any day but never do!

PS the avatar is the BCA logo
BCA Membership Secretary
Simon Morgan
Melanochromis Maingano
Melanochromis Maingano

PostAuthor: catwoman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 07:18

I like some of the larger American Cichlid's Caquetaia spectabilis, green terror, red terror & Melanurus are 3 of my fave's :P

My mum has a planted tank with an electric blue Ram unfortunately she lost her female a while back, these are really beautiful Cichlid's she keep's him with cardinal Tetra's, cory's & oto's the male Ram terrorises the poor lil cory's for some reason :roll:
catwoman
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: Peter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:37

Morning Simon,

I only have 3 species of Tanganyika's in my tanks now, Neolamprologus buescheri "Kamakonde" Pair breeding regularly, WC Altolamprologus compressiceps Kigoma Pair, F1 2 males 12 females Ophthalmotilapia ventralis Uwile, another tank is filled with 5 F1 male Ophthalmotilapia ventralis Uwile that i took out from the group to bring down the aggression and a male Neolamprologus longicaudatus. Which i might be getting rid of all of them in the new year as i need the room :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I used to have lots of different species in my cellar but i always find myself going back to Mbunas.

Peter
***WARNING: I take no responsibility for any deaths of livestock when following these instructions***
Peter
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: Simon Morgan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:22

catwoman wrote:I like some of the larger American Cichlid's Caquetaia spectabilis, green terror, red terror & Melanurus are 3 of my fave's :P

My mum has a planted tank with an electric blue Ram unfortunately she lost her female a while back, these are really beautiful Cichlid's she keep's him with cardinal Tetra's, cory's & oto's the male Ram terrorises the poor lil cory's for some reason :roll:

Yes, they are all lovely, I've never had the room myself. It's well known amongst the dwarf cichlid fraternity that rams arn't what they used to be sadly.
BCA Membership Secretary
Simon Morgan
Melanochromis Maingano
Melanochromis Maingano

PostAuthor: Simon Morgan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:25

Peter wrote:Morning Simon,

I only have 3 species of Tanganyika's in my tanks now, Neolamprologus buescheri "Kamakonde" Pair breeding regularly, WC Altolamprologus compressiceps Kigoma Pair, F1 2 males 12 females Ophthalmotilapia ventralis Uwile, another tank is filled with 5 F1 male Ophthalmotilapia ventralis Uwile that i took out from the group to bring down the aggression and a male Neolamprologus longicaudatus. Which i might be getting rid of all of them in the new year as i need the room :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I used to have lots of different species in my cellar but i always find myself going back to Mbunas.

Peter

Lovely species, feel free to think of me when you "get rid of them" :D
BCA Membership Secretary
Simon Morgan
Melanochromis Maingano
Melanochromis Maingano

Return to Other Fishes