Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 15 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Synodontis Njassae

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Synodontis Njassae

PostAuthor: FunkyFish » Mon Nov 21, 2011 23:04

firstly, thank you Colin for the fish and thanks Sam for letting me choose the 6 i wanted :good: hope i got a mix of males and females :blush:

these guys are real characters :good: they seem to shoal together and hide together in a bundle, almost like they are trying to keep warm. I have read and heard that it takes a while for them to settle :shock: these guys are out and about in short bursts already after 3 days :good: Think i may just have to add to the group too :D very chuffed with them more than any other fish i have! i think the largest 1 is close to 7" maybe a little more, the smallest maybe 4" yet they are all very nimble and slim, nothing like some of the horror pics you see on the web :good: will try to get some pics but these guys move quickly! very quickly!

May have to borrow a dslr, the phone camera is just not quick enough :(

Anyway, mack to what this was about...

what do / can they be fed on? they are only really getting spirulina flake at the moment... ideas anyone?

also, can they be sexed? i asked a friend to find out some info and females hold around 1500 eggs each spawn cycle :shock: that would be some serious breeding effort! eggs are only tiny though, nowhere near the size of cichlid eggs (or cookoo cats eggs, even though they are very similar species)

if someone knows where i can find usefull info please do link it here :good: :thanks:

FunkyFish
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Re: Synodontis Njassae

PostAuthor: catwoman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 04:55

congrats on your new fishies :yahoo:

they sound great, cant wait to see some pic's :good:
catwoman
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: catwoman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 04:58

I found this article interesting http://malawicichlids.com/mw11003a.htm

& it link's you to the full articles of which sentences have been taken for this one

you can buy zooplankton flake from TA aquaculture which is also good for Mbuna :D
catwoman
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: colin NW » Tue Nov 22, 2011 08:13

Feed them Tetra Prima Terry, this is fine for the mbuna as well. I was also feeding them bloodworm but they were on their own in the qt tank, but you can do this via a bottle or a tube, as soon as you put a tube in I guarantee one will take up residence.

colin NW
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: FunkyFish » Tue Nov 22, 2011 09:39

excellent link Vic, how did you kind it? i searched for ages the other week and gave up :lol:

Thanks Colin, will have to look through my prizes and hope i won some :lol: These guys will eventually be in a 4 ft tank so may try the blood worm then :good:

FunkyFish
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: FunkyFish » Tue Nov 22, 2011 20:44

the best shots i could get :evil: they scarpered when i turned the lights on :roll:

will try to borrow a good camera and take decent shots one day :blush:

FunkyFish
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: FunkyFish » Sun Dec 11, 2011 00:11

these little sh!ts have been squeeking tonight, first time i've heard them. Thought i had a rat in the room, was very disturbed then realised it was the fish... panic over.

Very funny realising fish can make a noise that you can hear over the telly though :wacko: had to watch to fish face off at each other then squeek and head in seperate directions. A few weeks in and they are all finding their own territory / crevis to hide in. No more huddles in 1 place :no

A very interesting species IMO :good:

FunkyFish
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

Return to Other Fishes