Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 19 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Cuckoo history

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Cuckoo history

PostAuthor: Didgeridoo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 05:57

I've had the same group of four cuckoo's (Synodontis multipunctatus) since 2007. I purchased a pair to put in my mbuna community tank from two separate shops out in Thunderbay when I lived there. I got all four at different times from different people/shops and the dominant pair has held the crown the entire time.

Three years ago I had a change in taste and sold off the group of four, and all my mbuna breeding groups. I had spawned the Cuckoo's and wanted to move on and try some Central American Guapotes. Two years went by and after playing with Centrals I wanted to get a nice mbuna community tank going again. I also wanted to pick up another group of Cuckoo's. I was checking locally and I saw an ad with 4 Cuckoo's for sale. I emailed immediately and picked them up the same day. Without me realizing until I got into the gentleman's fishroom, I was buying back my original group! I was so pumped!

Now it's nearly 2012 and it's been 5 years since I purchased these and they're still going strong! They were at least 2 years old when I bought them too as they were sexually mature already.

The dominant female is the largest of my group of 15 and I was looking back in my pictures and found a picture of her from 2007. So I whipped out the camera tonight and managed to luck out and get a nearly identical pose of her now, in 2011. Pretty neat to compare the two pictures and how the spotting has changed but is still recognizable.

My mbuna groups are just on the verge of starting to breed, so hopefully I'll be overrun with fry in no time! Just thought I'd share that little story.

Nick

Didgeridoo
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Re: Cuckoo history

PostAuthor: Super Turtleman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 19:54

Are you sure they're the same fish? They look like two completely different fish to me.
Super Turtleman

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: catwoman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 22:46

i also cannot see these as the same fish!!!!
catwoman
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: SHAQS77 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 22:57

they look diffrent to me too.

SHAQS77
Pseudotropheus Tropheops
Pseudotropheus Tropheops

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Sun Nov 06, 2011 03:09

They are NOT the same fish. You can see quite clearly by the spot markings.
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

PostAuthor: kathateria » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:55

Is this 'spot the difference'?
Sorry,I couldnt resist :blush:
There is no such thing as a peaceful mbuna.They are all 2 faced moody sods!
kathateria
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: BLUNDZ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 15:06

Great clear photos though :yes

Shame its not the same fish :(

Would have been a heck of a think to have gotten them back after all that time :D

Keep posting pics hey :good:

You obviously got the touch :yes 8)

BLUNDZ
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: Didgeridoo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 15:14

They're one and the same fish.
When I first got her she was 3.5", fully grown and wild caught from Burundi. Now she's almost 5" and is the largest of the group. I've found it very easy to distinguish each individual fish in my group as there's so much variation, both in spotting and in body shape. I have another female that is slightly smaller than this one but her colour is really different.

Here's a picture of the dark female.

Just thought I'd share my experience over the past few years of keeping these. It's funny that the dominant pair has held the realm since 2007 without falter. No other cuckoo has tried to challenge them or fight with them. The smaller ones fought each other when I added them but the tempers have cooled as everyone's found their place/vote.

Thanks for the compliments! I totally got lucky getting the same pose which makes it a lot easier for comparison.
Nick

Didgeridoo
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: Jim S » Sun Nov 06, 2011 18:33

Lovely fish and great pics :good:
Jim S
Metriaclima Zebra Chilumba
Metriaclima Zebra Chilumba

PostAuthor: Super Turtleman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 21:27

Well, I didn't know they could change their spots. So if they can then it is possible that it is the same fish...seems unlikely to me though.

But really, as long as you're happy with them that's all that matters. I like mine as well and can't wait to breed them.
Super Turtleman

PostAuthor: Didgeridoo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 17:41

Well if you think about it, they change their spots all throughout their lives. When you buy them at 1.5" in the store their spots are quite large and oblong. As they grow their spots get smaller and spread out. And as I've noticed, the older the fish get, the smaller the spots tend to get and you have less oblong shapes.

When I was raising the fry their coloration would change drastically every week! And with good feedings and lots of water changes you can get the little kitties up to 2 inches in 2 months! Then they seem to slow their growth right down. And it takes them 2 years before their are mature and start spawning. Just some fun facts. lol.

Nick

Didgeridoo
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

Return to Other Fishes