Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 24 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Anyone breed assassin snails

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Anyone breed assassin snails

PostAuthor: scooby » Fri Oct 14, 2011 09:52

Very intrested in getting some assissin snails just to breed and make a bit of cash and swap for malawi fry etc. Is there anyone on here what breed Assassin snails and could give me any tips on feeding etc. Have done my home work on the net but still unsure what are the best snails to feed the assassins. Any info would be good and also do you keep the snails with other fish or on there own.

scooby
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Re: Anyone breed assassin snails

PostAuthor: kathateria » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:01

Ive read they will eat 1 snail a day.
Ive bred apple snails before. I dont know if assassins are the same though.
Normal pest snails, should suffice. Im sure you will get some freebies off forums! If you pay for postage

Apple snails lay eggs out of the water,I got this pic,totally by chance!
There is no such thing as a peaceful mbuna.They are all 2 faced moody sods!
kathateria
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: scooby » Tue Nov 22, 2011 19:35

Anyone with any info :thanks: in advance

scooby
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: Peter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 20:08

Hi,

I take it your on about the Anentome helena, Its not a hard snail to breed, just get yourself a small group of them 5-6 would do to make sure you have both sexes in your tank. They breed on hard surfaces and lay their eggs singularly (at least they did with me) The hatch time is around 4-5 weeks and the young snails are really small (1mm) They dont normally pray on their own young or snails that are larger than them (apple snails) Maxium size is around 1,5cm and they start breeding at around 1cm. Once youve got no more feeding snails left you can feed them food tablets or frozen brine shrimp. Another way ive heard of is keeping them with apple snails and they will eat the young apples when they go into the water.

hope this help a little.
***WARNING: I take no responsibility for any deaths of livestock when following these instructions***
Peter
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: scooby » Thu Feb 02, 2012 20:50

Thanks for the reply Peter , I've had the assassin snails for around 4 months now still no babies , but i did read on the net it takes around 6 months before they breed so fingers crossed. Thanks Again

scooby
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

PostAuthor: twuncher » Mon Nov 12, 2012 00:47

Well I started with four of these, I now have possibly over 40 in my tank, they totally wiped out my bladder snail problem and these look way cooler! I never specifically fed them or tried to breed them they must feeding on the sinking wafers I feed my corydoras duplicareus!
Currently Tropicals,
Investigating Malawi's for new tank!
twuncher
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

PostAuthor: Sweety » Fri Jan 10, 2014 00:31

Been keeping them for years, I find they love blood worms & will find them coming out for when ever it's added to a tank. What I have notice is once the pest snails are gone & you don't feed blood worms to them they will prey on their own young or weaker adults.

Sweety
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Return to Other Fishes