Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 17 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Majestic-12 [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Shrimps???

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Shrimps???

PostAuthor: ReptileRescueDen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 20:09

What shrimp is the smallest that would be suitable for a communial aquarium? My aquarium holds 180 gals, if that helps.
http://www.justgiving.com/denise-frain
I shaved my head for charity, please feel free to donate to Macmillan Cancer Support via the link above.
ReptileRescueDen
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Re: Shrimps???

PostAuthor: Dave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 20:18

There's a chap called Colin on here, he runs Natural World, it's a pet shop near me, they also sponsor this site.
Well he has shrimps in the shop so he'll be able to put you in the picture.
Sorry I can't help, the only things of that nature I kept were fresh water lobster. :D
Dave
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

PostAuthor: ReptileRescueDen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 20:49

Thanks Dave. :)
I shaved my head for charity, please feel free to donate to Macmillan Cancer Support via the link above.
ReptileRescueDen
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: colin NW » Thu Sep 01, 2011 21:03

Brine shrimp would be the best also known as artemia or even sea monkeys, you can buy it frozen in blocks or you can hatch it yourself, it is quite easy and the fish love to chase it. It brings out good colours in fish. I have been chatting to the german cichlid breeders and they feed a lot of it, to keep colours in firefish etc

colin NW
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: kathateria » Thu Sep 01, 2011 21:03

Cherry shrimp,bamboo shrimp are 2 I can think of.Bamboo are bigger,so if you have bigger fish they might be better suited :D Or cherrys will be lunch :lol:
There is no such thing as a peaceful mbuna.They are all 2 faced moody sods!
kathateria
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: Dave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 21:06

Col, I think Nise may be looking at the bigger ones to keep are aquarium cleaners not food.

But the thing about the brine shrimp is interesting.
Might get myself set up with a coke bottle and air stone hatchery. :D
Dave
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

PostAuthor: colin NW » Thu Sep 01, 2011 21:07

hehehe I thought we were talking food lol

I love bamboo shrimps, amano shrimps for algae eating

colin NW
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: Dave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 22:20

colin wrote:hehehe I thought we were talking food lol

I love bamboo shrimps, amano shrimps for algae eating

How do they get on in a community set up?
Do they try and escape like lobsters? :roll: :shock:
Dave
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: bozatron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 09:24

I have had a lone Ghost Shrimp (sometimes called a Glass shrimp) in my small community aquarium for over a year now and he (or she, god only knows how you sex them?) has been doing fine. The other tank inhabitants are, a single Beta (male Siamese Fighter), 8 Rasbora Espei, 4 Corydoras Aeneus (Broze Cory) and 2 Corydoras Julli. He has shed his skin too many times to count now and in the first 3 months was growing week on week but he is now full sized at about 1.5-2.0". He does a great job of cleaning up and takes little to no interest in the other inhabitants of the tank. As for the other fish he is so quick they couldn't catch him even if they wanted too :)

He is very entertaining to watch, the way he gathers food in all his pincers then trots of to eat and the way he swims is bonkers too. I would recommend one as a great addition to any community tank.

He is really hard to photograph, but here are a couple of shots. In real life he is so much more transparent than these shots show, and the brightly colored bits in the first shot are food he is collecting up with his four tiny pincers :)

B
bozatron
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: FunkyFish » Fri Sep 02, 2011 09:30

i would put him in with the mbuna :lol:

FunkyFish
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: ReptileRescueDen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 20:21

Thanks everyone. :)
Dave is right I am looking for aquarium cleaners. I just need to find some now. :)
ReptileRescueDen
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: Dave » Fri Sep 02, 2011 22:31

ReptileRescueDen wrote:Thanks everyone. :)
Dave is right I am looking for aquarium cleaners. I just need to find some now. :)

If Colin has some left in the shop I'm pretty sure he could post some out to you. :D
Dave
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

PostAuthor: Mickey P. » Wed Mar 07, 2012 02:05

Yamato Shrimp, little ninjas that I don't see for weeks. :lol:
"I imagine that fish have no word for water."
Mickey P.
Cynotilapia Afra Cobue
Cynotilapia Afra Cobue

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Return to Other Fishes