Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Cichlid not eating has a problem with its mouth

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Cichlid not eating has a problem with its mouth

PostAuthor: suzycichlids » Sat Jul 06, 2013 20:23

Help, I have a cobalt zebra with a mouth problem and is not eating. Has been like this for a few days now, keeps stretching its mouth open like its yawning and shakes its head, its very subdued and stays quietly out the way of the other fish. I cannot see any health issues and condition wise looks fine. I'm not too sure but I believe it is female but am pretty sure it's not holding as there is no bulk to its under jaw and has not been chased around by the male. Prior to this the fish has been acting fairly bossy around the other fish and chasing them.
Any ideas as to what maybe wrong would be appreciated.

suzycichlids
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Re: Cichlid not eating has a problem with its mouth

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Sun Jul 07, 2013 21:53

Not eating isn't a good sign, IMO the yawning suggests it has a problem with digestive system, as does the head shake.

I would probably add to a QT tank and run a course of Octozin.....

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Re: Cichlid not eating has a problem with its mouth

PostAuthor: suzycichlids » Tue Jul 09, 2013 21:57

Sadly my sick fish has passed away! My tank has been running for 3 months, I upgraded from a smaller tank using the filter media and some water from my old tank to get the new one up and running. I have a hood trickle filter plus an external filter.
I have tested my water and it looks good, PH 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 30. So I don't think it's a water problem. My other fish still look fine so I'm hopeful it's a one off with this fish dying.
I feed them on a mixture of malawi flake, Hikari cichlid Excel mini sinking & floating pellets plus I chuck the odd algea wafer in now & again. I don't give them any frozen food but have give them the odd bag of live brine shrimp maybe once every 3-4 weeks. I feed them twice a day, with the odd little pinch of flake when I'm passing the tank as they are always up looking starved.

suzycichlids
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Return to Health, Illness and Feeding Cichlids