Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 16 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Majestic-12 [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

New Start

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

New Start

PostAuthor: mutley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 20:12

Thought I had better introduce myself before asking for your help :) Just returning to cichlids after 12yrs on the salty side. Tank is a 5x2x2 with a 4x 1.5x1.5 sump.
Kept cichlids before marines,successfully bred some(more nature than anything to do with me), however things have certainly moved on over the last decade.Back then mixed just about any cichlid,be it American,African etc and let it run,but this time want to get it right.So onto the questions:

Have 80kg of beautiful shaped live rock from my salty tank, soaking in fresh ro at the moment,will this be ok to use in the future in a cichlid tank
What configuration to use in the sump,should I use it at all or opt for canister filters
What group/species of fish to keep
What flow rate through the tank(wasx50 per hr in my reef )

Sorry for the amount of questions, but like to think and plan before getting into things

Thanks
Mark

mutley
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Re: New Start

PostAuthor: DeanDowney » Fri Mar 21, 2014 21:17

Welcome to the forum Mutley. I've had some good advice since I joined. One of the more experienced fk's will answer all of your questions soon I'm sure. :)

DeanDowney
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 22:29

Hi mark

Glad you joined the forum. A lot of questions to answer, what combination did you use in your sump when you had marines?
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

PostAuthor: mutley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 23:22

Thanks for the replies. Sorry so many questions,mind is buzzing at the moment at the thought of setting up this tank.
As for the sump, initial chamber was for the downflow,overflowed into a chamber which forced all the water through a filter sock(changed twice weekly). Then into skimmer chamber,followed by chaeto algae before return

Mark

mutley
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: mutley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 23:29

Just found the answer to one of my questions,that of flow rate needing to be around 5 x tank volume per hour. My return would be 6x, so powerheads are not needed making the tank more aesthetically pleasing

Mark

mutley
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: leakystan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 23:41

flow rates can differ from site to site, in fact the more you look the more confused you get, i'm running a 3x2x2 main tank n sump less rock probs in the region of 300litres ish using a 2000 litre an hr pump on approx 3/4 n getting good results so thats about 4.5 to 5 times an hr turn over
unless you experiance a build up of excessive waste no real need for powerheads some use them to direct it to the return pipes but for the fishes benefit not needed
my sump design excuse the crudeness works from right to left

mind that 3ft wall keith its hard to see over the top when you are my height.

leakystan
Forum Control
Forum Control

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Sat Mar 22, 2014 00:39

Hi mate - my 5 pence worth.....

Qu. Have 80kg of beautiful shaped live rock from my salty tank, soaking in fresh ro at the moment,will this be ok to use in the future in a cichlid tank
Ans. Yes but I would check to make sure all the hangers on have gone to avoid any ammonia build up. Probably a good idea to check stats to make sure the live rock is well "dead"!

Qu. What configuration to use in the sump,should I use it at all or opt for canister filters
Ans. IMO go with the sump, you won't need the skimmer. Both my main tanks are sump set ups.

Qu. What group/species of fish to keep
Ans. How long is a piece of string, you could try most types, excludingonly some of the big "haps" in a 5x2x2. Have a look at some of the images here and on the web (Malawi Dream Plan is a good source) make a list and we can tell you which ones are better avoided!

Qu. What flow rate through the tank(wasx50 per hr in my reef
Ans. 4x as a minimum better 6 and up IMO. You are limited more by space in the tank for territory than filter capacity if that makes sense.

Cheers and welcome back to Malawi!

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: mutley » Sat Mar 22, 2014 07:41

Thanks again for the replies. The live rock is soaking in fresh water,flushed twice daily with new fresh water to remove any debris and build-up of phosphate or nitrate that has leached out of it. This process will continue for at least another 4 weeks making a total of 6 weeks.Thanks leakystan for the pick of your sump,that answers all my questions on filtration in one really,already have the glass for the extra partitions, but could you tell me what rock you are using in the one chamber.
As for the choice of fish,knew that was a silly question as there are so many variables that influence the answer!!Will have a good read and a drool at some of the tanks/fish on this site and come up with a wish list for people to have a look over

Thanks again

Mark

mutley
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: trumps » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:06

Hi mark,

Nice intro and can't wait to see it running :good:

Not used sumps but seems you have got your answers from those who do :good:

Rock wise I would personally try and keep to limestone, Derbyshire fawn stone or York stone which I think replicates more of a natural look from the lake, but at the end of the day mate it's your tank and you will be the one looking at it so it's whatever your happy with :good:

Look forward to the pics :good:
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: leakystan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:17

its alphagog lol spelling, first section ideally run your sponges i use three courses n they are the mats you can get cut up to fit the sump the k1 in the first chamber of mine is more of an experiment than anything else seeing if i can get enough movement through it to make it efficient, try to design the sump so that the heaters even if there is a malfunction their section remains full of water apart from that pretty much design it as you see fit n what works for you no hard fast rules as to what goes where

leakystan
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: mutley » Sat Mar 22, 2014 13:36

Trying to use the rock from my marine tank for a couple of reasons.
Firstly I have it,in abundance and therefore the cost savings are obvious.
I know where it has been,what has been added and therefore should be harboring nothing nasty. Always worry what impurities are in other rocks.
Filtration wise, it was my understanding that nitrosomas bacteria prefer an oxygen depleted environment,small pores in rock etc,therefore was hoping that the live rock due to the amount of small holes etc would therefore be more efficient,especially if the water was flushed through it by the return or powerheads hidden within the rockwork
I had thought of selling the rock I had which would more than cover the cost of the limestone replacement,but the above reasons have so far prevented me from doing so

Mark

mutley
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: mutley » Tue Mar 25, 2014 21:26

Been having a long think :durr It's amazing how difficult it is to change pysche from one type of system to another. Realized that by using my old live rock and painting the back of the tank blue was just a surrogate for a marine tank again. So have taken trumps advice and not used my live rock but got my hands on some weathered limestone,scraped all the blue paint off,again and aim to paint ithe back black. On that note any idea of what or where to obtain a black paint from?

Mark

mutley
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: trumps » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:23

A lot of people use blackboard paint :good:
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: leakystan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 21:18

i used the black spray paint specially for glass from b+q first coat didnt cover well enough and the second coat reacted with the first n peeled the first coat off :durr
if you have a hobby/craft shop near where u live id get some black card from there

leakystan
Forum Control
Forum Control

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 17:30

AS said, if you want to paint it use blackboard paint
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself