Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 16 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Hi All, from sunny Eastbourne :)

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Hi All, from sunny Eastbourne :)

PostAuthor: Rifter » Wed Jan 29, 2014 01:29

Well it took a few days to get online, but it seems it was worth the wait :) Ive had a quick scout around and it looks like there are some serious enthusiasts on here. Lots of info, advice and fun too, by the looks. Anyway, enough about you, this is meant to be about ME ! lol.

My name is Chris. Ive been keeping fish on and off for about 25 years and have tried my hand at pretty much every group there are out there, including marines (which I found easier than African cichlids the last time I tried !). I have also had hi tech and low tech planted tanks, had a go at breeding South American and West African cichlids and have now come full circle to about 20 years ago when I briefly kept a mbuna tank (which was too small and too lightly stocked as a result of poor advice and lack of research on my part. My excuse for which is that the internet was not a huge option in those days).

So anyway, I now find myself strongly drawn back to these fish, despite only three months ago, ribbing a good mate of mine for keeping them, siting his African tank as a recepticle for a lot of stupid fish swimming madly around trying not to bump into each other. (:imsorry)

It is odd how fast you can change your mind in this hobby. To be fair, my heart was not really in the insult I proffered. I was more likely to be jealous of his 5 foot Rena full of fish of wondrous colour. So having been unable to sell a spare tank for the money I felt it deserved, I have decided to keep it and put it to good use. In fact, I am going to be transferring the south american fish I have in a slightly larger tank, into the one I am now keeping, so that my Africans can have pride of place in the bigger one. There is not a great deal in it between the two, but hey, they may as well get the bigger one, and it will make setting up the south american one as a planted tank a lot more easy.

So anyway, the plan is to go for dwarf / smaller mbuna and maybe some other small malawi fish that are compatible. I would like to keep small synodontis sp. with them too, maybe petricola, lucipinnis or polli. The sort of fish I have been considering are Cynotilapia afraz/zebroides, Labidochromis hongi Kimpuma Red Top, Pseudotropheus elongatus Mpanga, Labeotropheus fuelleborni etc.

Having said that, nothing is set in stone and I would welcome suggestions (and offers of fish, hehe).

I have set up a blog thread / journal, and hope that you will all take a look so that you can follow my progress and help me along the way. :good:

You can find the journal here....

http://lakemalawiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=20735&sid=146d4a44915347e6c9f1c1b2ce55b682

This is the tank they will be going in...

Rifter
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Re: Hi All, from sunny Eastbourne :)

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Fri Jan 31, 2014 23:02

Hi and welcome - like the history, very much like mine, but you really can't beat a good tank of mbuna for colour and activity! And once they breed you get to set up all sorts of little tanks to keep the fry in...........

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: trumps » Fri Jan 31, 2014 23:32

Hi there :welcomeflash to the forum

That's a very good and detailed introduction, look forward to seeing the updates on the tank and of course the fish :good:

We do like pics here and plenty of them :fishleft :fishright
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 14:04

Hi Chris

Appologies on the length of time it took to activate your account. However, well worth it by the length you have written. Thank you and well done

Richard
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rifter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 23:54

Rdwh wrote:Hi Chris

Appologies on the length of time it took to activate your account. However, well worth it by the length you have written. Thank you and well done

Richard

No worries Richard. Nice to be here. Ive been a bit busy this last week but hope to really get going now on setting up the new tank :)

Rifter
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Return to Introduce Yourself