Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 20 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Hi from new member

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Hi from new member

PostAuthor: bigtone0777 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 15:35

Hi all, I have just signed up and thought I should introduce myself.

My names Tony and will hopefully be starting back up in the hobby soon. I am moving house in a couple of weeks and hopefully will be able to fit a small tank up in the new house to house a few select Dwarf Mbuna and nursery / fry tanks up in my garage.

I have been away from the hobby for a few years as due to having to move I had to part with all my tanks including my prized 6x2x2 Mbuna tank :cryy

I live between Durham and Darlington in the North East and unfortunately there seem to be a lack of good quality Cichlids in the area so any recommendations of quality stockists and breeders would be gladly received.

Just for an idea of my tank tastes I have posted a pic of my old Mbuna tank.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I'm looking forward to chatting with you all :)

Tony

bigtone0777
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Re: Hi from new member

PostAuthor: bjcha » Thu Sep 19, 2013 16:24

hi tony :welcome: that's a cracking tank you had there,what rocks and substrate did you have there
baz
bjcha
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: bigtone0777 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 16:32

Thanks Baz!

The substrate was a course crushed coral and the rock is all tuffa with small holes drilled to give the fry somewhere to hide as I never removed any of my holding females. Both the rock and crushed coral were bought second hand from someone stripping a 10x2x2 to set up for discus or I'd never have been able to afford that much rock I don't think lol

I'm going to be going for a rocky aquascape again but with different rock this time as would like to go darker this time around. Again suggestions are welcomed of what to use and best place to purchase from.

Tony

bigtone0777
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

PostAuthor: bjcha » Thu Sep 19, 2013 16:41

they look like quite large pieces of crushed coral, I like the idea of drilling the holes, I am just thinking if I can do that to my large river cobbles
baz
bjcha
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: bigtone0777 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 17:16

They might be quite tough to drill but it would really help your fry. With that set up it was totally impractical to strip the rocks to remove fish too often but with all that rock with small holes in I got loads of fry survive naturally then only had to remove fish once in a while.

Let me know if you try it and your results.

Tony

bigtone0777
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: trumpette » Thu Sep 19, 2013 19:07

Hiya and welcome to the forum :good:
trumpette

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

PostAuthor: trumps » Thu Sep 19, 2013 20:33

Hi tony and :welcomeflash to the forum :good:

Look forward to seeing your new tank develop :good:
cheers,

trumps

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

PostAuthor: bigtone0777 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 22:57

Thanks for the welcomes :-)

I can't wait to get set up to be honest, hopefully will be making some progress by end of October and can start looking for some nice Mbuna :-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

bigtone0777
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: trumps » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39

What sort of quality fish are you looking for?

If your looking for wilds then natural world will be getting regular shipments in and I can vouch for the quality of the fish, we have just taken delivery of 6 wild caught fish, also with these wild caught a coming in there should be plenty of f1 offspring becoming available :good: Colin does post fish and nearly all of my fish have come this way :good:
cheers,

trumps

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Sat Sep 21, 2013 18:32

Hi and welcome - cracking tank, looking forward to seeing the new one progress !

matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:17

Nice tank Tony, welcome to the forum.
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

Return to Introduce Yourself