Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 22 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Hello there!

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Hello there!

PostAuthor: TrickyT » Tue Jul 09, 2013 18:01

Hi everyone.

My name is Tom and having just signed up I thought I would introduced myself.

I am in the process of returning to the hobby after around 6 years away. In some ways it could be 50 years, surprising how much you forget and how much changes. Trying to remember everything I learnt back then.

In the past I had a 240 litre Mbuna set up. I then managed to get a 6ft Frontosa set up. Unfortunately there was a disaster and I lost them. I then moved house and unfortunately, due to a 'change in circumstances' I ended up having to leave my tank. That was 6 years ago and I've not had a fish since. My dad set up an Oscar tank with my old Frontosa tank but I've not had one due to living in apartments etc.

Well I'm now back in my own place, with a new lovely house, which in turn has allowed me to return to my passion! Although my space is still a bit limited so I can't get exactly what I wanted tank wise. So I've got myself a Juwel Rio 125 litre! I've removed the internal filter and will be getting one of those highly rated, yet reasonably priced, All Pond Solutions external one. Probably the 1400 l/h one which should be sufficient.

As for stock...difficult! Decisions, decisions...I had agonised over Tangs v Malawi. Lots of decision changes later and I've FIBALLY decided on.....my trusty and lovely Mbuna. I recognise that I'm somewhat limited with option so I've decided that I'm going to go with a species tank of Saulosi.

Still in the process of setting the tank up with rocks but need some more. I have Pool Filter Sand ready and waiting. I then need to start my very first fishless cycle (ammonia is VERY difficult to locate but good old eBay!) and then hopefully by August/September I will be ready to get the Saulosi from Midlands Malawis who I understand have a batch on the way.

I'm really looking forward to it and starting up again. I will be doing a tank setup thread I'm sure!

TrickyT
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Re: Hello there!

PostAuthor: trumps » Tue Jul 09, 2013 21:43

Hi and welcome :good:

Agreed with Kev regarding the safestart, used this on my recent six foot set up and not had any problems :good:
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: TrickyT » Tue Jul 09, 2013 22:53

Wow, really? No cycling?

That just makes me...I don't know....nervous?

What sort of product would do this? I've never trusted many of the bottled bacteria because of the lifetime of the bacteria in relation to the way they're stored and transportation.

This could make things much easier, but everyone seems to still talk about fishless cycling...?

TrickyT
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

PostAuthor: trumps » Tue Jul 09, 2013 23:19

It's called tetra safestart :good:

I have used this on the last four tanks that I have set up and had no problems :good:
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: TrickyT » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:53

So how come fishless cycling is still talked about so much? Surely there would be no need to do it at all?

Is it just a case of some people being overly cautious?

TrickyT
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Fri Jul 12, 2013 23:35

I have to confess to being nervous using Tetra safe start, but I set up a tank from scratch and added wilds + safe start with no losses or water quality problems (in fact randy devils bred in first week or so) so I guess it's a good as you can get with an instant cycle........

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Tue Aug 13, 2013 08:24

Hi Tom a belated welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

PostAuthor: maxie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 07:39

:welcome: tom, i recently went the safe start route after being advised to by the guys here and all was good.. good luck with the new tank. :) :)

maxie
Metriaclima Estherae
Metriaclima Estherae

Return to Introduce Yourself