Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 16 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Just a quick Hello (and maybe some advice)

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Just a quick Hello (and maybe some advice)

PostAuthor: axellp » Sun Jun 30, 2013 21:53

Just wanted to say hi, im new to keeping malawis but have kept tropicals in the past. I am currently in the process of setting up a rio300 tank so any advice is welcomed. I have read many different threads on this forum and have already made a few decisions (some maybe controversial)

So i decided to go with coral gravel as its the look i like and it should aid the stability of the ph.

I have also gone for ocean rock (the controversial bit) down to personal taste in afraid and its what i had in my head from the age of about 12 when i first wanted a malawi set-up.

The tank holds 350l and i have put an aquaone Aquis 1250 filter on it, is this going to be powerful enough?

Thoughts on circulation/ wave makers would be appreciated

I Filled the tank yesterday and have not yet started to cycle it, i have purchased a bottle of the API quick start to introduce the bacterial then i was planning on using ammonia to aid and monitor the ammonia levels.

Thats pretty much as far as i am atm so any thoughts would be great.

As for stocking im still totally confused so advice would be useful i am currently thinking mbuna and haps?

Any way thanks for your time

Phil :)

axellp
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Re: Just a quick Hello (and maybe some advice)

PostAuthor: Ray » Mon Jul 01, 2013 00:05

hello phil and welcome to the forum

alot of people dont like ocean rock i dont mind it myself

never used a wave maker so cant coment all i have is the spraybar from one of my externals pointed towards the the surface

have used crushed coral before but found it made the water always appear cloudy and had loads of small particals floating around the tank

if i was you i would get myself a bottle of tetra safestart to help seed the filters use it at the same time as adding the fish saves alot of hassle of having to add ammonia and constantly testing the water

as for the fish in a tank that size i would stick to mbuna as haps can get larger so would ideally need a larger tank to keep them happy and healthy

your filter seems fine but at a later date i would add another so as to have a backup so to speak
Ray

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: trumps » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:57

Hi phil and :welcome: to the forum :good:

Agree with ray tbh regarding mixing haps and mbuna, not only will the haps get to big but they also require different diets!

Also agree with using safestart, I have used this and not had any problems :good:
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: axellp » Mon Jul 01, 2013 14:50

Thanks for the replies. So how long should I leave the tank set up for before I consider adding the first fish? Also what reading should I be Looking for ATM. Obviously with no fish in the tank it's hard to moniter ammonia nitrates etc. thanks

axellp
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

PostAuthor: trumps » Mon Jul 01, 2013 15:25

If your going to be using safestart then you add this at the same time as the fish and just keep an eye on the stats :good: but only add say about 10-15 fish at first :good:
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: nigel1955 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 19:39

Hi & :welcome: , just joined myself recently and have moved over from the salty side to Mbuna, tank is set up ready for fish on 15th. Look forward to seeing some pics.

nigel1955
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Mon Jul 01, 2013 19:46

Controversial???

I think the setup sounds great tbh with exception to fish, think you are better with just mbuna as haps may be a little too boring as a comparison with mbuna to start with.
Welcome :welcome:
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

PostAuthor: axellp » Mon Jul 01, 2013 21:35

I would upload a current pic but as of yet I'm not sure how. Computers are not my strong point.

axellp
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: nigel1955 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 09:29

axellp wrote:I would upload a current pic but as of yet I'm not sure how. Computers are not my strong point.

This was posted on another thread of a friend on here, which explains it better than I can

"As for how do you upload pics, just go to www.photobucket.com and, if you haven't already done so, create an account. You can then upload your photos there. Once done, each photo will have a link displayed underneath them. Just copy and paste this link into a thread and that's it."

Hope that helps you and look forward to some pics

nigel1955
Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Pseudotropheus Demasoni

PostAuthor: andrewwroe » Thu Jul 04, 2013 00:44

If you did want peacocks I would go down the route of linebred more placid and get on very well with mbuna

andrewwroe
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Fri Jul 05, 2013 22:38

Hi and welcome,

Have a look at what the filter will turn over in terms of water volume. You should aim for an absolute minimum of 4x tank volume per hour; so 350lt x 4 = 1400lt/hour. You will have a fair volume of rock so you could reduce this down accordingly..

Most companies cheat like xxxxxx when quoting turn over by measuring the flow of an empty canister. Check on line to see if there are some accurate measurements of one being used for real !

Agree with avoiding the haps, to big and messy. Some will also find smaller mbuna a very tempting snack they are virtually all predatory, especially when getting big. Most will get 10" if not the foot long mark

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Return to Introduce Yourself