Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 23 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

New member from Scotland

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

New member from Scotland

PostAuthor: johnb10060 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:18

Hi guys,

New to the forum and would like some info on stocking of mbuna please. I have kept and bred mbuna before but that was 15 years ago and I know that things have moved on since then.

I currently have a marine set up but that is being broken down so I can come back to the mbuna.

Tank will be 330ltr 48 x 18 x 24 and filtered by two aps 1400ltr externals. There will also be two 2600ltr/ph wavemakers in there to create a current. Lighting will be by 5 x t5's, a mixture of blue's and white's.

Substrate will be 25lbs of coral gravel and plenty of rock.

I was thinking of having only 4 species but plenty of them.

1m and 7f of L. Caraeleus
1m and 11f of P.Demonsi or Socolofi
1m and 7f P. Acei
1m and 7f C. Afra Jalo Reef

What do you guys think....would it work?

John

johnb10060
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Re: New member from Scotland

PostAuthor: trumps » Fri May 10, 2013 12:00

First of all and :welcome: to the forum :hi

Glad you have made the move back to Mbuna :fundance

I think your on about the limit stock wise but they are some very nice fish :good:
As you are probably aware yellow labs and the acei tend to get to a decent size of around 6"

Not kept demasoni but heard that they need to be kept in big groups as they can be very aggressive amongst there own!

Look forward to seeing more on this :good:
cheers,

trumps

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

PostAuthor: johnb10060 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:25

Thanks for the welcome Trumps.

I thought I might be close to the stocking limit but that might change if I decide to go with the socolofi instead of the demonsi as I then would not need as many.
No too worried about the eventual size of the yellow labs and acei as I really want the two colours to really pop out and the bigger and brighter the colours the better.

Will post pics as I go along.

J

johnb10060
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Fri May 10, 2013 21:28

A big welcome to you and thank you for joining the forum, another scot to keep Kmac happy. Enjoy yourself here and keep asking the questions.
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: Chrisc » Sat May 11, 2013 00:27

Hello and welcome,

Your tank.is around the same size as mine and I keep mine and heavily stocked (similar number of mbuna) but have more filtration than you. I also stock smaller mbuna than you have listed so not sure so many big mbuna would work and especially with12 socolofi considering them , labs and acei get large.

The jalo have dull females so I would look at say at least 3 males but I would also consider this for all groups. I do lime large groups but only keep zebra goods that get bigger than 5 inch :hi
Chrisc
Metriaclima Zebra Chilumba
Metriaclima Zebra Chilumba

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

PostAuthor: trumpette » Sat May 11, 2013 10:20

Hi there and welcome to the forum :good:
trumpette

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

PostAuthor: V00d000 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 00:11

I wasn't aware of it before I moved over to the salty side, but they have a decent selection on Mbuna within McKinnon Mills just down the road from you (non-sponsor, so no names).

Unfortunately I only became aware of this when I sold off my set-up and become committed to marine.

Welcome to the LMF, there's a wealth of information here, make good use of it :good:
V00d000
Metriaclima Estherae
Metriaclima Estherae

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Sun Jun 02, 2013 17:03

Hi and welcome, Trumps is right with the Acei / lab size, they will hit 6"+ but thankfully as I have been keeping both in a 5 footer, for a few years, not over night !

I also agree with big groups - if you can find them. Acei and Labs are fairly common. One other suggestion; leave enough for another few fish if you can. At some point that marmalade cat or something is going to turn up somewhere unexpected, and you will be kicking yourself for not grabbing the bargin! (been there and brought "T" shirt)

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 07:55

Have you any pictures of your old set up, would be nice to compare salt with your new mbuna setup once done
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: johnb10060 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 19:06

Thanks guys for all your comments and welcomes. Well I have finally managed to move on all my marine stock and the tank is cleaned and ready to rock n roll.
I have water and rocks in and hope to get fish in at end of the week. I am picking up 6 x p.socolofi and 6 x l.caraleus on saturday morning.
I was thinking of adding 4 x m.estherae red or m.callainos white along with 4 x p.elongatus neon spot. What do you guys think of this or can you advise on other types.
Also how do I post a picture?

johnb10060
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

Return to Introduce Yourself