Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 23 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Beg. borrow and ......... New tank on a budget

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Re: Beg. borrow and ......... New tank on a budget

PostAuthor: smetuk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 17:59

Hello everyone, wowzer though :fundance , was not expecting so much attention, Its marvelous to have so much knowledge in a one stop shop. All of the conflicting opinions on the WWW are confusing at best.

So it would seem I have been over zealous on the sand. I will be taking your group advice of stirring and removing half upon my next clean out. I was wondering about Assassin snails, will they help? Can i even put them in with Malawi water chemistry?

So many questions in my head..... Think I'll drip feed them though to try and keep the complexity down :O

Thanks to Vinboy for the tip on being patient and waiting for algae growth before I go changing lights, this now seems completely obvious to me :durr . Having an 8 year break from keeping fish has made me a lot more rusty than I thought!
I have sourced what appears to be a good breeder just 15 miles away from me, have yet to go see, but he comes highly recommended. I also have a small fry tank on the go with the following stock- 3 red zebra fry (not sexed, also have 3 in main tank), 3 electric blues and 3 powder blue pseudotrpheus of some description. which all came from a lad with a few breeding tanks just up the road. My intention is to hopefully keep a breeding trio or quad of the red zebras, and sell on the spare males. I guess the rest will have to wait until I am sure about sex, Think I'm going to be ok with the electric blues but still a little young to tell. I notice that most of the Mbuna stay toward the bottom half of the tank, any recommendations on mid to top swimmers?

Thanks for everyones time!!! :good:

Steve

smetuk
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Sun Apr 07, 2013 18:03

Hi, and welcome the tank is going to look really good :good: you made the right choice (sorry despite all the time it took to clear) to take out some of the sand - it's too thick and if oxygen can't get through it easily there's a risk of it going anerobic (ie in absence of oxygen - it will then go black and can give off hydrogen sulphide) which isn't good for the fish.....

Cheers

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: smetuk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 18:09

Thanks Matt,

Hydrogen sulphide, like bad **trump** gas? :O Oh! Pretty sure that's toxic to me too! Sand removal maybe a job for the very near future me thinks!

Ta!
Steve

smetuk
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

PostAuthor: Nads » Sun Apr 07, 2013 20:16

smetuk wrote:Thanks Matt,

Hydrogen sulphide, like bad **trump** gas? :O Oh! Pretty sure that's toxic to me too! Sand removal maybe a job for the very near future me thinks!

Ta!
Steve

Great description :lmao:

But yes that's the one!
Nads
Mel. Northern Blue
Mel. Northern Blue

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself