Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 32 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Hi new member

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Hi new member

PostAuthor: Scubacol » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:23

Hi their just joined your forum.
I'm a Scuba diver as well as a fish keeper been diving for17 years
I have kept fish for 45 years tropical, Marines and Koi.

Just setup a new 400 Litre tank for Mbuna, nearly cycled .
I've never kept Mbuna before but have been planning tank for a good 3 months.
I've read Ad konings book Back to Nature several times and been reading on several forums on Malawi cichlids to glean
as much information as I can.

I've sort of arrived at a stock list and would welcome any opinions from anybody on here
if there seems to be any obvious problems.
I've been advised that ill probably need to have a minimum of 30 adult fish in a tank this size.
So having seen Mikes stock of Wilds at Mikes rifts I am well and truly hooked and I want to go with stocking all wilds if I can get them.

So here is my provisional list
Cynotilapia afra
Melanochromis interrruptus
Metriclima estherae
Labatropheus trewavasae
Pseudotropheus ?

So 5 species I know may not be practical
Also even if it would be doable would welcome feedback on numbers of each species to stock
and how many of each.(male to female ratio)
Also since stocking a new tank I Was thinking maybe maximum of two different :roll: :hi species groups to start with.
Would this cause problems with stocking other groups later on.
Anyway as I said would welcome any feedback as I know I might be going over the top
Thanks Colin

Scubacol
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Re: Hi new member

PostAuthor: trumpette » Sat Apr 06, 2013 13:55

:hi Colin and welcome to the forum :good:
trumpette

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

PostAuthor: trumps » Sat Apr 06, 2013 15:09

:hi Colin and a big :welcomeflash to the forum :good:

I personally can't see any problems with your choice of stock :good:

Some of the afras are stunning little fish but would be advisable two keep only one locale of these, interuptus again a nice little fish, estherae again a very nice fish with ice blue males when coloured and orange females, trewavasae again nice fish and get a decent size also depending on locale and the same with pseudotropheus, so many different variations :roll:

One thing I will say is as numbers wise go you will probably be looking at about 40 ish fish fully grown, also you are best keeping one male and multiple females or 3 or more males with multiple females :good:

Hope this helps
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: Scubacol » Sat Apr 06, 2013 18:05

Hi and thanks for the welcome

With the Afra when you say best to keep only one locale do you mean one type i.e. Jalo afra

As for 40 Adult fish think im going to have to get a second mortgage :tease: :tease:

I don't really want to go with more than 4 species so if im looking at 10 fish of each which way would you go 1 male to 9 females
or 3 males to 7 females

Also as to stocking new tank and load on matured filter would it be ok to stock one genus at a time and another group once filter as had time to adjust

I know there's no guarantee with mbuna just want to see what experienced mbuna keepers would do

Thanks Colin

Scubacol
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

PostAuthor: trumps » Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:38

Hi,

Regards the afra yes one type ie jalo reef. The only reason why I say this is that I have heard that they can be quite aggressive with others!

Also I take it the fish you will be buying will be juvies? If so these can be hard to sex so you might be better getting more and thin out went sexable :good:

Is the tank going to be already cycled? If so I would still suggest adding safestart when you add the fish, this is a bottled bacteria which helps kick start the filter, all tanks that I have set up recently I have used this without using the old fashioned method of cycling a d not had any problems :good:

If the tank is already cycled then you could pretty much stock the tank with all straight away as long as you keep an eye on parameters! I would still use safestart though to help with the bio load!

3 males to 7 females would be ideal :good:

Hope this helps
cheers,

trumps

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:39

Hi and welcome to the forum !

I assume your looking at a tank of around 5 foot.. opinions vary of stock levels, I keep mine quite high - so I have about 35 fish in a 60", whereas Vin would probably halve that number. Again I have about 10 species, Vin would have maybe 3....

Trumps is right with the Afra - most (not all) species have similar females and will cross breed, also conspecific males, i.e. males that look very similar. Unless chosen with care you will have the two species groups constantly fighting and cross breeding. Cross bred fry (hybrids) tend to be hard to pass on to shops or other malawi keepers due to the mixed up genetics.

Within the same species there will also be fish from diifering locations (locale) on the lake - they are the same species, but often very different in male colouration (Labidochromis caeruleuss as an example is yellow at Lions cove, white at Ruare, white with black bars at Lundo Island, blue with black bars at Undu Point etc.) but males will breed happily with any other Labidochromis female irrespective of location - resulting in some "odd coloured" fish and again a mixed up gene pool.

Cynotilapia afra (about 25+ locale's in the 4th edition) I think you could keep as a group 3m and 7f (but I haven't kept this one myself..anybody??)
Melanochromis interrruptus - yes as a group and I think Nad's is the expert on these !
Metriclima estherae - certainly as a group I have 2m and 13f together very happily
Labatropheus trewavasae - 1m and 3f, these can be a bit enthusiastic at spawning time - my male sadly killed his partner 2 weeks post spawning - he was ready to spawn again and she was still holding the last batch. Certainly I think a group of 3 females would avoid this - but they can grow quite big - and be intolerent of each other (by reputation ..)
Pseudotropheus - this is a very very wide group! from Demasoni - small 3" and mean to the big Zebra's 7" with everything inbetween - any idea which one you fancy?

As a rough rule of thumb go with 3 fish as a minimum of males or females - with 2 there is always a winner and a looser, with 3 one is happily sitting there watching. There are exceptions with the very mean / aggresive fish where getting 2 to co-exist is a major achievement! Mel auratus perhaps is a classic of this.

BUT you will find that none of the fish we keep read the text books or behave the same way - what one person has as a pussycat another may have as a tiger.....it's what makes the hobby interesting !

Hope this helps some

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: Nads » Sun Apr 07, 2013 07:09

Hi Huge welcome to the forum. You have loads of space for some really nice groups. I tend to group fish with 3 or males and if I can, five or more females. With the interuptus I have a very large group and the ratio I mention would work well but think you can go heavier on both males and females :good:
Nads
Mel. Northern Blue
Mel. Northern Blue

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: Sam » Sun Apr 07, 2013 08:47

:welcome: :welcomenice :welcomeflash
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Sun Apr 07, 2013 09:06

Hi and welcome.

Firstly natural world have a good selection of wild cichlids at good prices and if you ring to speak to Colin Tuesday-Friday he will give you plenty of good honest pointers to get you started.
Anyway, your fish list: Cynotilapia afra, if you are going for a mild mannered type I would suggest red or white top. Pseudotropheus, if you chose the acei yellow fin not only would they be the most mildest type but they would be very colourful in your tank. I look forward to your final list and going forwards, pictures of your setup.
Keep posting as everyone will have differing ideas on tank inhabitants based on their experience which is good for you. Also gave a look in our gallery as we list in species groups, and the pictures are top quality and most are wild caught as well.
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

PostAuthor: Scubacol » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33

Hi all and thanks for reply's
Ok I went into Natural World yesterday and ordered 3 pairs Wilds,
I know I must be mad. :durr

One pair Cynotilapia afra red top likoma
One pair of Melanochromis interruptus
One pair of Pseudotropheus esterase chiofue

Tank now cycled looking at picking them up Friday hoping to catch Colin
there and try and pick is brains on groupings

All the information I had read before led me to believe less males to females in a group 1 male to 3 females say.
Talking to the young man in Natural world when I mentioned I would like a group of M interruptus as I loved the yellow females he said with
groups of say 6 fish better to go with 5 males to 1 female.

Just want to know which is best way to go as I have seen some nice F1 Hongi of a decent size so can easily pick out the males
and I would like to get 6 of these but not sure which way to go.

I'm not bothered about breeding the fish just want a nice tank full of colour hopefully not ripping each other apart.

The tank is an Aquaone Aquareef 400 internal dimensions to water level 50" x 24" x 19" with a sump and I have also
got a Fluval external G3 running and a Vectron V2 400 UV running.

Ill get some pictures with new stock in at the weekend and post it in new tank setups

Thanks Colin

Scubacol
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: Ray » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00

nice fish

ian(leakystan) has just bought a pair of the red top likoma and they looks lovely he also bought some interruptus which were equally lovely
Ray

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: Sam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 18:25

Scubacol wrote:Talking to the young man in Natural world when I mentioned I would like a group of M interruptus as I loved the yellow females he said with
groups of say 6 fish better to go with 5 males to 1 female.

Personally I would do it the other way around or even have 2 Males & 4 Females, I would speak to Colin when you go to collect them as he will point you in the right direction. When I was breeding I tried to have at LEAST 2 females to every male that way the females can hold and then take time out whilst the other female(s) had there turn. Regardless of whether you want to breed or not, if you get your perameters spot on and you keep your water in tip top condition breeding will be unavoidable. :) :)
sam@lakemalawi.co.uk
Sam
Forum Control
Forum Control

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: trumps » Mon Apr 08, 2013 18:52

Deffo more females to males or three pairs have worked for me :good:

I would seriously try and speak to Colin if you can :good:
cheers,

trumps

PostAuthor: robpole » Mon Apr 08, 2013 20:57

From all the wilds i have kept (all from natural world) the following ratios have been most successful:

-pairs of each species (heavily stocked tank with lots of different pairs of fish)
-x3 pairs of each species but of course you are limit on the number of species

My personal preference in looking back is the first option. The second is expensive as you really need to buy the group at the same time to let them settle together and in case it's a while before the species comes in again.

I would not have a group consisting of just two males as the sub dominant will be at risk of battering by the alpha but of course there is always the exception to the rule and cases were such ratios. Have worked. Just as Male heavy groups can work with decent colours being shown and the aggression being spread through the group.
Mbuna - 1 or 2 !!!!!!! Image

robpole
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

PostAuthor: Scubacol » Mon Apr 08, 2013 21:54

If I stock just pairs how can I finish up with a tank of
40 fish as from what I've read you should not mix
different genus types
Defo going in to pick up fish on Friday and hoping to speak
To Colin

Scubacol
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself