Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 24 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Howdy

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

Howdy

PostAuthor: elvisgraham » Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:17

My name is Alan from Glasgow. I have just bought my second aquarium and am keeping Cichlids.

I have:

1 pink salmon tiger
4 Black Convics
3 I cant identify as yet

I rescued these fish with the tank. I have a fluval 190 corner tank. I think I have almost decided that I want rid of the Convicts as I think I want more peaceful fish in the tank. I would like some Electric yellows and maybe some Moori Lumphead Cichlid. I am still learning what I can and cant have at this stage. I'm just happy the fish got rescued and that they are still alive. I'm sure I'll find someone who wants to trade or take them off my hands. You may see them on gumtree soon!!!

If I work out how to get pictures on then I may ask for some help to identify my fish. In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away with google.

Good to meet you all

Cheers

Alan

elvisgraham
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Re: Howdy

PostAuthor: elvisgraham » Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:18

One of the fish I couldn't identify is a Violet Cichlid

elvisgraham
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

PostAuthor: elvisgraham » Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:28

Another fish is an Auratus Cichlid

elvisgraham
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: elvisgraham » Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:29

The last fish to find is an Electric Yellow Lab - Good old google images!!!!!

elvisgraham
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: trumpette » Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:30

Hi and welcome to the forum :hi

To upload photo's you need to use a image hosting site such as photo bucket the photos need to be resized to around 800x600 then just copy the image code into your post :good:
trumpette

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

PostAuthor: Nads » Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:31

Huge welcome to the forum :hi
Nads
Mel. Northern Blue
Mel. Northern Blue

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:35

Hi and welcome !

You will find a lot of help is available from everyone here !

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: vinboy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:42

Moori a defo nono they get huge even labs can grow a bit but take a while.
190lt maybe a couple of species.
vinny
vinboy
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: elvisgraham » Fri Apr 05, 2013 22:48

1 pink salmon Zebra (not sure where I got tiger from)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

elvisgraham
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Fri Apr 05, 2013 23:05

Thanks for the update, some of the "common" names get used for any number of fish... which is not helpful!

You will find most malawi are classified by their scientific names (well close to in my case spelling and correct taxonomic grammar isn't always my thing I admit!)

Violet cichilid would seem to be the Psuedotropheus Acei (its actually just been transfered to a different species but can't recall which!) but you should be able to google Acei to confirm - these grow slowly to 6"+ are very peaceful and do better in groups.

Auratus - one of the malawi bruisers and has a nasty reputation for aggression (maybe the worst reputation - treat this one with care when adding fish!) males or females are very intolerent of each other, or anything vaguely similar to another auratus. Google Melanochromis auratus for better details.

Salmon pink zebra.. could be an albino convict, a pale Metriaclima estherea male or a south american. The name seems to be used in all three cases.

The yellow lab (labidochromis caeruleus) is a nice fish - again has the potential to hit 6"+ when fully grown, another fish that does better in groups.

Hope this helps!

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

PostAuthor: trumps » Fri Apr 05, 2013 23:08

:hi and :welcome: to the forum :good:

You will fi d all the information you need here and we are a nice friendly bunch who love pics :good:
cheers,

trumps

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Sun Apr 07, 2013 09:34

Welcome to the forum Alan.
As Matt has said, the common names won't mean much to 95% of people so the correct terminology would gain a greater response.
The convicts and pink salmon you mention sounds to me like you have got American cichlids which are a total and absolute no no to mix with Malawi cichlids. Not only are they more violent, more territorial,from different parts of the world but they live in differing water conditions and eat different food types.
Could you take a photo of your fish to post on here so we can narrow down exactly what you have, as if I am right then I would suggest that you need to decide which type of cichlid you want to keep, as you will need to be looking to rid your tank of the unwanted types.
It is a common misconception that to keep cichlids means "any" cichlids:
There are Malawi CICHLIDS
Victorian CICHLIDS
Tanganyika CICHLIDS
American CICHLIDS
Etc, etc
Take a look here ->http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cichlid

You cannot keep all types of cichlids together, but you can choose what type you want to keep
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership

Return to Introduce Yourself