Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 38 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests

Most users ever online was 373 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:29

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

new tank, new member, some advice please

THIS IS A READ ONLY FORUM. PLEASE VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE ON https://www.facebook.com/groups/312863568081/

Moderators: Nads, Ray, iwade4fish, Super Turtleman, matt_harry_harrison

new tank, new member, some advice please

PostAuthor: skint » Sun May 15, 2011 15:52

hello, how you all?
just about to take delivery of a new 3ft 180 litre tank.
I used to keep fish years ago and had some success with american cichlids and community tank set ups. I was thinking of giving malawis a go with this tank.
Is that too small a tank?
Are there smaller types 3-4 inch ones that would suit it?
Want to make sure I have enough space for them to be happy.
Also Ive seen a few malawi tanks with catfish/plecs. good idea or bad idea?
these wee queries have probably been answered in your forums but any advice would be good.
Cheers
Rich

skint
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: new tank, new member, some advice please

PostAuthor: Deakybaby » Sun May 15, 2011 16:00

180 litres isnt to bad a mate of mine has got about 30 1-2 inch fish in his 180 once they start getting a bit bigger he trades them in for smaller ones again and just keeps going like that however others would say maybe between 10-15 is probably about right just depends on the filtration and your rock work i guess oh and mines got a plec in there nobody seems bothered by him plodding around and they all get a slap if they try and take his wafer lmao

Deakybaby

PostAuthor: skint » Sun May 15, 2011 16:05

cheers man.
aye I thought itd be alright. I'll give it a wee go.

skint
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

PostAuthor: Clare » Sun May 15, 2011 17:31

Hello and welcome to the forum. Yes this would be ok for a dwarf community or a starter tank until they grow bigger. :good:

Clare

PostAuthor: bjcha » Sun May 15, 2011 19:13

hi mate, do a search for dwarf mbuna and youll find a list of em , theres quite a few
baz
bjcha
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: FunkyFish » Sun May 15, 2011 19:19

agree, smaller species and as a rule of thumb, 1 mbuna for every 10 liters of water so 18 fish i would aim for. :good:
WANTED: £1,000,000 or alternatively next weeks winning Lotto ticket.

FunkyFish
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

PostAuthor: Rick » Sun May 15, 2011 19:55

I've got the same sized tank, and if you choose your fish carefully it will be a fine size for keeping some malawi's. Though do recognise it's about the smallest you can get away with and there are some limits.

First off I would say funky that 18 fish would be too much for the size of tank. I have 7 Mbuna, 2 Syno's and a Plec in my tank, and consider it full (allowing for growth), but there is room for me to push that a little if need be. When my new filter arrives I will get away with a little more still, but the aim should not be to stock your tank to absolute capacity.

I would suggest keeping 2 small groups, at the moment I have Yellow Labs and Hongi's, ideal would be a male and 2 females of each. Choose species that look very differant from each other, it makes it less likely they will be aggresive to each other as they don't view each other as mating competition, and it will cut down the chances of hybrids. You could also add a couple of syno's if you liked. Plenty of caves and rockwork though, with a small tank especially you will need it.

I'm sure there will be those that disagree, but for what it's worth that's my advice.
Bye Bye Fred, Hello Rick. The Alias is dead.
Never argue with an idiot. They pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Rick
Metriaclima Zebra Chilumba

PostAuthor: Gmand » Sun May 15, 2011 20:16

Have to agree with funky here...Im a firm believer ahving seen first hand in a smaller set up the mess they make of each other that over stocking and over filtration is a must. If you stick to dwarves you may not have the same issues, and as I had my experiences with little experience it was a steep learning curve.

There is no black/white right/wrong in this hobby however and I wish you all the best because keeping Mbunas is a wonderful hobby.
Your jealous because the voices only speak to me

Gmand

PostAuthor: Rdwh » Sun May 15, 2011 21:02

Welcome to the forum. A nice collection of yellow labs and a trio of callainos would look ok and work fine with some synos to help clean up
Lakemalawi.co.uk The number one resource centre on Malawi Cichlids.
Rdwh
Forum Control
Forum Control

13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership13 years of membership

PostAuthor: matt_harry_harrison » Sun May 15, 2011 21:42

Honest advice would be to go for 1m and 3f.

There is good reason for this. If you keep fish in pairs and they do fall out there will be 1 winner and 1 loser. BUT by keeping them as trios one will always escape notice - and so will be able to de-stress. There are some exceptions to this and from experience auratus (only ever 1m and 1f) and Demasoni (either 1 and 1 or dozens) there are exceptions to this and Demasoni are certainly a fish that divides opinion !

Hope that helps

Matt
matt_harry_harrison

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

PostAuthor: vinboy » Sun May 15, 2011 22:48

Saulosi would be perfect say 10-14 with 4 males and rest females they only get to about
2in and are the best colours in my view.
A pair of bristlenose plecs as add to.
vinny
vinboy
Metriaclima Membe Deep
Metriaclima Membe Deep

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

PostAuthor: Gmand » Sun May 15, 2011 22:50

have to agree with Vinny, if you were to hold just 1 type the salousi would be the way to go.
Your jealous because the voices only speak to me

Gmand

PostAuthor: skint » Mon May 16, 2011 09:39

crackin cheers for the advice. I'll let you all ken how it turns out next week.

skint
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Caeruleus

Return to Introduce Yourself